ICRI-Nepal is committed to take ownership of CSR initiative in Nepal. In order to sensitize CSR initiative effectively in Nepal we have planned to conduct following activities in coming days
1. Partnership with private schools to:
• cross subsidize schools in public sector;
• pay for and train public school teachers;
• pay for an afternoon meal for needy children;
• collection and distribution of textbooks donated by students;
2. Private media including print, FM radio and TV for:
• training children to become journalists;
• enable children to develop and contribute content for children’s pages and allocated time instead of just by adults;
• existing journalists to be sensitive to children’s issues and needs.
3. Manufactures of detergents and sanitation equipment for:
• clean water in schools and homes;
• proper waste disposal (solid and water);
• water purification;
• personal health and hygiene.
4. Construction industry and construction material manufactures for:
• safer school buildings;
• play grounds and open spaces, design/contribution;
5. Information technology (IT) firms for:
• expansion of IT to public schools;
• free source softwares / teaching materials on CDs;
• re-conditioned computers / parts/assembled equipment;
• off- peak rates for connectivity
6. Expand current corporate awards to include a category for social efforts/ideas and enterprises. There is a past legacy to award businesses only for profit or dividend and not CSR criteria. This needs to change.
7. Banks and financial institutions to make available volunteers to ICRI-Nepal for:
• financial experts to help upgrade book keeping abilities;
• MBAs to help develop business plans/proposals;
• Asset management for organizations working for children and their families.
8. The last category is a general one where we can have several agreements with many small initiatives including contributing toys, blankets, medicine etc. to children’s hospitals, blood donations, diversion of a small percentage of sale revenue to children’s causes or events and promotional materials for and on behalf of children.